Sunday, June 1, 2014

Engine Video Update 3

A new video, hurray!

Since the last video, I split my time between working on the engine code and working on the level editor. Most of my time was spent dealing with font rednering which in my engine is handled by the FreeType2 library. Font rendering is a fascinating subject that had many unseen issues that I ran into. All in all it was very educational reading through their documentation and tutorials. After getting the font rendering module working, I spent some time doing bug fixes, code clean up, and adding features to the level editor to make it much more usable.


Support for transparent images was a happy tangent to the font rendering and required thankfully very little changes to the existing texture code to use. Some other changes that didn't appear in the video are:
  • The engine now supports the loading of Item entities
  • New Font Vertex and Fragment Shaders
  • Better texture management in the level editor

After fixing the font rendering code to correctly size each letter, I plan on running some initial performance tests with the engine. Now that the engine has an on-screen fps counter, I will be making some benchmark/stress levels to see how well the engine holds up when faced with handling large amounts of entities. Other features that are coming up in the near future are improvements to the map editor and initial scripting support for the engine. Stay tuned and feel free to post any questions below!

No comments:

Post a Comment